Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
"It might be a good idea, but maybe not with the Code4Lib name. But I worry
in general we don?t collectively know enough about what makes good software
to give a Software of the Year honor reliably."

Karen Schneider wrote:
"On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, just to note, there was a
breakout session at C4L where quality issues of OSS were discussed;"

I respectfully disagree: I don't see this as a software quality award.

I would suggest some criteria for judging software for this
award. Software that is:
 1 being used by a significant portion of the community
 2 filling a significant need
 3 having a positive impact on the community
 4 supportive others participating/collaborating
 5 responsive to the community
 6 (to a lesser extent) innovative
 7 <your criterion here>

I also have no problem with an award with code4lib on it. It is just
saying that the awardee software has been found to be <see
1,2,3,4,5,6,7... above> by the code4lib award committee.

-glen