Mike Taylor wrote:
> The Motion Picture Academy doesn't collectively know enough about what
> makes good movies to give a Best Picture Oscar reliably, either, but
> that doesn't stop them taking their best guess.

And if the Oscars are our model, color me even more concerned. :)

But the _effect_ of a 'wrong' oscar choice is, what?  Somebody makes
money they didn't 'deserve', people see movies they end up not liking.

The effect of a 'wrong' Code4Lib award is potentially steering people
the wrong way in their software choices, or in their education about
what makes good software, with the Code4Lib stamp of approval on it. As
Mike notes, that name carries cachet now, bizarrely enough.

When we first started the Journal, I actually at first was reluctant to
attach the Code4Lib name to it, because Code4Lib is such an amorphous
community, it didn't seem fair to imply that the informal community had
somehow given it's stamp of approval to these articles. But in general
other editors and the code4lib community in general wanted Code4Lib
attached, they wanted the journal to be seen as a product of the
community, so good enough.

Jonathan