I worry about putting the name Code4Lib on it, and implying that somehow
Code4Lib collectively approves the awardee. Code4Lib can’t do much of
anything collectively. But the name seems to have acquired a cachet
among people who may not understand what it is. People within Code4Lib
will have different opinions of what is a good project and what is an
awful project, and that’s fine, Code4Lib can include diversity and
disagreement, which is why I’m not sure it can put it’s stamp of
approval on a project.

It might be a good idea, but maybe not with the Code4Lib name. But I
worry in general we don’t collectively know enough about what makes good
software to give a Software of the Year honor reliably.