Exactly, that is what people don't understand about RFC 3986.  URIs are
just identifiers and have nothing to do with dereferencing.  Dereferencing
only comes into play when the URI is used with an actual protocol like
HTTP.  The only thing the http:, e.g., URI scheme, starting the URI tells
you is what the syntax of the rest of the URI looks like.  This is where
the authors of info URIs missed the boat.  They conflated the URI scheme,
e.g., http:, with dereferencing and used it as a justification for a new
URI scheme.  The authors were told of that misconception before info
became an RFC by both the IETF and W3C, but they decided to proceed
anyway creating another library specific standard that no one else will
use.

If people would just follow the prescribed practice by the W3C:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/>
Architecture of the Web says:

2.3.1. URI aliases

Best practice: "A URI owner SHOULD NOT associate arbitrarily different URIs with the same resource."

2.4. URI Schemes

Best practice: "A specification SHOULD reuse an existing URI scheme (rather than create a new one) when it provides the desired properties of identifiers and their relation to resources."

Quote: "While Web architecture allows the definition of new schemes, introducing a new scheme is costly. Many aspects of URI processing are scheme-dependent, and a large amount of deployed software already processes URIs of well-known schemes. Introducing a new URI scheme requires the development and deployment not only of client software to handle the scheme, but also of ancillary agents such as gateways, proxies, and caches. See [RFC2718] for other considerations and costs related to URI scheme design."

<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50>
This tag finding pretty much debunks all the reasons given by the info URI authors for creating a new URI scheme.  I think Erik Hetzner also referenced it in his posts.

Andy.