At Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:34:45 +0100,
Mike Taylor wrote:
> Not quite.  Embedding a DOI in an info URI (or a URN) means that the
> identifier describes its own type.  If you just get the naked string
> 	10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00728.x
> passed to you, say as an rft_id in an OpenURL, then you can't tell
> (except by guessing) whether it's a DOI, a SICI, and ISBN or a
> biological species identifier.  But if you get
> 	info:doi/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2007.00728.x
> then you know what you've got, and can act on it accordingly.

It seems to me that you are just pushing out by one more level the
mechanism to be able to tell what something is.

That is - before you needed to know that 10.1111/xxx was a DOI. Now
you need to know that info:doi/10.1111/xxx is a URI.

Without external knowledge that info:doi/10.1111/xxx is a URI, I can
only guess.

(Caveat: I have no idea what rft_id, etc, means, so maybe that changes
the meaning of what you are saying from how I read it.)

-Erik