Isn't there always a single point of failure if you are expecting to be
able to resolve an http URI via the HTTP protocol?

Whether it's purl.org or not, there's always a single point of failure
on a given http URI that you expect to resolve via HTTP, the entity
operating the web server at the specified address. Right?

Now, if you have a collection of disparate http URIs, you have _many_
points of failure in that collection. Any entity goes down or ceases to
exist, and the http URIs that resolved to that entity's web server will
stop working.

I'd actually rather have a _single_ point of failure, in an organization
that resources are being put into to ensure persistence, then hundreds
or thousands of points of failure, many of which are organizations that
may lack the mission, funding, or understanding to provide reliable
persistence.

Jonathan