Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> URI for an ISBN or SuDocs?  I don't think the GPO is going anywhere,
> but the GPO isn't committing to supporting an http URI scheme, and
> whoever is, who knows if they're going anywhere. That issue is
> certainly mitigated by Ross using purl.org for these, instead of his
> own personal http URI. But another issue that makes us want a
> controlling authority is increasing the chances that everyone will use
> the _same_ URI.  If GPO were behind the purl.org/NET/sudoc URIs, those
> chances would be high. Just Ross on his own, the chances go down,
> later someone else (OCLC, GPO, some other guy like Ross) might
> accidentally create a 'competitor', which would be unfortunate. Note
> this isn't as much of a problem for "born web" resources -- nobody's
> going to accidentally create an alternate URI for a dbpedia term,
> because anybody that knows about dbpedia knows that it lives at dbpedia.
>
> So those are my thoughts. Now everyone else can argue bitterly over
> them for a while. :)

The ones that really puzzle me, however, are the OpenURL info namespace
URIs for ftp, http, https.... and info. This implies that EVERY
identifier used by OpenURL needs an info URI, even if it is a URI in its
own right. They are under "info:ofi/nam" which is called "Namespace
reserved for registry identifiers of namespaces." There's something so
circular about this that I just get a brain dump when I try to
understand it. Does it make sense to anyone?

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net