Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> I'm curious why you think that doesn't work?  Isn't "place of
> publication" a characteristic of a particular manifestation? While,
> "title", according to traditional library practices where you take it
> from the title page, is also a characteristic of a particular
> manifestation, is it not? ("uniform title" is _usually_ a
> characteristic of a work, unless we get into music cataloging and some
> other 'edge' cases. Our traditional practices -- which aren't actually
> changed that much by RDA, are rather confusing.)

Well, I was responding to Ross' statement that bibo and FRBR could be
used in combination, depending on whether one was at that moment
describing 'bibliographic things' or 'work things'. bibo doesn't have a
uniform title, so the question is: can you use a bibo title and say that
it is a work title? I thought that Ross was indicating something of that
nature -- that you could have a FRBR 'work thing' with bibo properties.
I'm trying to understand how that works since Work is a class. Don't you
have to indicate the domain and range of a property in its definition?

RDA tries to solve this by creating different properties for every
concept+FRBR entity: title of the work (Work), title proper
(Manifestation). [I don't understand why expressions don't have
titles.... a translation is an expression, after all.]

> I am confused about what one would do about the fact that RDA defines
> attributes a bit different than FRBR itself does. It's not too
> surprising -- FRBR is really just a draft, hardly tested in the world.
> When RDA tried to make it a bit more concrete, it's not surprising
> that they found they had to make changes to make it workable. Not sure
> what to do about that in the grand scheme of things, if RDA and FRBR
> both end up registering different vocabularies. I guess we'll just
> have two different vocabularies though, which isn't too shocking I guess.

I'm not sure there's anything to do, but I do know that the developers
of RDA feel very strongly that in RDA they have 'implemented' FRBR, so
we have to find a way to integrate FRBR and RDA in the registered RDA
vocabulary. I agree that there's no problem with having RDA and FRBR as
two different vocabularies, it's the effort of bringing them together
that boggles me. I feel like it leaves a lot of loose ends. I'd be happy
to see FRBR revised, or to have it re-defined without the attributes,
thus allowing metadata developers to use the bibliographic relationship
properties with any set of descriptive elements.

I'm having trouble with the FRBR Group 1 entities as classes. I see them
instead as relationships, and vocab.org does seem to treat them as
relationships, not as 'things.' I see a distinct difference between a
person entity and a work entity, because there is no thing that is a
work. I see work as a relationship between two bibliographic statements.
(This is vague in my mind, so I won't be surprised if it doesn't make
sense....) As an example, if I have a group of bibliographic properties,
say an author and a title, and I say:

Magic Mountain, by Thomas Mann --> expresses --> Der Zauberberg, by
Thomas Mann

then I have created an 'expression to work' relationship, and so Der
Zauberberg is a Work. If I do this, I don't need an explicit Work title.
If I have a badly created Manifestation that has on its title page:
Magic Mountian, I can do:

Magic Mountian, published by x in y --> manifests --> Magic Mountain, by
Thomas Mann --> expresses --> Der Zauberberg, by Thomas Mann

In this way, I don't have to declare different title elements with
different domains/ranges (which is essentially what RDA does in an
awkward way) to connect them to the FRBR Group 1 classes, and the FRBR
properties become more usable because you don't have to declare your
bibliographic properties in terms of the FRBR classes. Now, IF you can
use any properties, say, dcterms:title, with the FRBR properties, like
"manifests" then the whole thing is solved. I think it works that way,
but that is definitely NOT what RDA has done; it has incorporated the
domain (FRBR class) in the bibliographic properties. I think that what I
describe above in my examples works; and if it does, then the problem is
with RDA.

In the end, it's the relationship between properties and classes in FRBR
and RDA that is giving me a headache, and the headache mainly has to do
with FRBR group 1. I think this is my bete noir, and so I will now go
read something soothing and let my blood pressure drop a bit.

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net