But the first one to take this on has no one to grab from.  The sharing
argument may be a red herring in that the problem, from some
perspectives, isn't so much about sharing one's own work -- it's more
about using others' work.  Or is there already a community of people
doing something like what Ross describes?  If so, where can I find out
more about who, and how this works?

It seems to me that the best movements forward in this opening of data
are centered on translating marc into more web-usable forms.  Which is
great**... for everyone except catalogers with no love for marc.  Jakob
makes a good point in the post that Rob pointed out
(http:[log in to unmask])...
when cataloging can look like librarything, the rules *and, I would add,
tools* we use seem incredibly bloated.

** I do mean great.  We have to start somewhere.  It's just that the
cataloging pieces move so excruciatingly slowly.

ah