Jonathan Rochkind writes:
 > > Organization need to have a clear understanding of what they are
 > > minting URIs for.
 >
 > Precisely. And in the real world... they don't always have
 > that. Neither the minters nor the users of URIs, especially the
 > users of http URIs, where you can find so many potential http URIs
 > that are different but seem to refer to the same thing.
 >
 > ONE of the benefits of info is that the registry process forces
 > minters to develop that clear understanding (to some extent), and
 > documents it for later users.  There are also other pros and cons.
 >
 > But again, I think http URIs _used appropriately_ can certainly
 > serve the same purpose as info uris.  In actuality, there seems to
 > be a lot of things causing people to use them inappropriately.

This is the best (and, maybe not coincidentally) the most concise
summary of the issue that I've read.

Houghton,Andrew writes:
 > People see http: and assume that it means the HTTP protocol so it
 > must be a locator.  [...] People don't understand what RFC 3986 is
 > saying.  It makes no claim that any URI registered scheme has
 > persistence or can be dereferenced.  An HTTP URI is just a token to
 > identify some resource, nothing more.

This is technically true ... just as it's technically true that a
female breast is just a piece of fatty tissue.  But, just like
boobies, http: URLs carry a LOT of cultural baggage and all sorts of
connotations -- some just wired into our minds, some coded right down
into our mail-readers and other software -- and they simply cannot be
realistically seen in that light by the great majority of people.

I suppose the bottom line is that, although we all agree that http:
URLs can indeed serve as identifiers, there are lots of good "soft"
reasons why it's useful to be able to tell a location from an
identifier at a glace -- both for busy people and for lazy software.
So to my surprise I am finding myself sort of reconciled with info:
URIs, even though I didn't like them at first.

(Although I'd like like them more if I could mint them myself wihout
needing to go through a registration process, like I can with http:
URLs.  Something like info:bydomain:miketaylor.org.uk/someSchema/1.0)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <[log in to unmask]>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  You have to take me in the spirit in which I'm intended.