Google's Matt Cutts tweeted a few days ago that he didn't understand
why Twitter and similar services don't simply resolve short URLs to
their long form and store/display them that way.

Things like that have been on my mind for a while, but I've only just
put some of those thoughts to words:

http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/13719/not-sure-that-rev-canonical-is-really-the-solution/

And from the perspective of linked data, making our applications query
the URLs that users submit to them just makes sense. It might seem
like science fiction to suggest that Twitter resolve a URL to identify
its canonical version and RDF that enriches the tweet, but Facebook's
link sharing actually does that (though it looks for meta tags rather
than RDF).

--Casey