A concrete example.

The MODS schema, version 3.3, has an info identifier, for SRU purposes:

info:srw/schema/1/mods-v3.3

So in an SRU request you can say"

recordSchema=info:srw/schema/1/mods-v3.3

Meaning you want records returned in the mods version 3.3 schema.  And
that's really the purpose of the schema identifier. Both the client and
server know the schema by this identifier  - or the server doesn't know it
at all and the request fails - but nobody wants to resolve the identifier.

Now in contrast, the schema is at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-3.xsd

And it's also at:
http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3/mods-3-3.xsd

And also:
http://www.loc.gov/mods/mods.xsd

And:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsd

And:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods.xsd

So there you have five http "identifiers" for the schema.

Which is the better identifier for this purpose? The single info identifer,
or a choice http identifers, one for  every possible location where the
schema may reside (which is more than these five).    If the answer is that
it's better to use one of the http identifiers, how do you know that the one
you pick is the one that the server recognizes it by?  Or should the server
maintain a list of all possible locations?

--Ray