From: "Jonathan Rochkind" <[log in to unmask]>
> If you want to reclaim the term "federated" to mean a local index, I think
> you have a losing battle in front of you.

It's not a battle I plan to pursue, I don't fight battles anymore. I just
feel obligated to observe that when vocabulary is tinkered with in this
fashion -- and I did notice, probably more than ten years ago, that
"federated" was being manipulated --  it  makes it difficult to express
modeling concepts when definitions are a moving target.  In the future,
vendors should be more careful about messing around with established
definitions.  If you don't like the federated model (the old one), don't
redefine the term, find a new term.  The old term could someday come in
handy for expressing why you don't like that model, but it's useless if
nobody agrees what it means.   --Ray