On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM, Laurence Lockton <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> ------------------------------
>> Date:    Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:36:30 -0400
>> From:    "Diane I. Hillmann" <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: Serials Solutions Summon

>> 3. Because they also have data on what journals any particular library
>> customer has subscribed to, they can customize the product for each
>> library, ensuring that the library's users aren't served a bunch of
>> results that they ultimately can't access.
>>

> This is one of the great advantages of a local aggregated index, being able
> to flag which documents are actually available to your users, and giving
> them the choice of searching only for these. Lund University's ELIN does
> this and it's really popular. (See a picture <
> http://people.bath.ac.uk/lislgl/elin.png>)
>
> Is this being offered in Summon and WorldCat Local?

Laurence - Summon does have fulltext access as well as "scholary or
peer-reviewed" as available facets in Summon to allow users to narrow their
search results by these two facets.  And it is great that you point this out
- this is one of the great benefits of having a single unified index.  You
get to pull all sorts of gems out of the boulders of content.  I am
personnally getting really excited for what our community (code4lib) will be
able to invent on top of services such as Summon.  I think we are going to
be able to find many more gems as well as mashups that allow for some
fanatastic tools.

Andrew