I was talking to Ross a bit in channel about this, but one consideration
is encouraging consistency.

If everyone uses  http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/[whatever] to identify
that, that's fine.  If some people were using that, and other people
were using http://purl.org/NET/dc..., and other people were using
http://dc.org/..., and other people were inventing new things all the
time, it would be problematic.

That's unlikely to happen to DC.  In part because the DC organization,
which is responsible for the DC elements, has officially endorsed and
propagated those particular identifiers.

So long as everyone is using the same http identifiers, they are indeed
inter-changeable with info style identifiers, with the added bonus that
they potentially have some kind of de-referencing built in, and that
they don't make things more complicated with non-http URI schemes.
(Those two are the arguments for using http, right?).

With something that was in fact created for the web, by a particular
organization, that published those http uris.... this is quite likely to
occur.

With legacy identifiers that were not created by the web (like sudoc),
that  potentially have a distributed mechanism of control (like ISBN,
and in a different way DOI), and especially where the controlling
organization has not in fact endorsed a _particular_ http template for
URIs...  it's somewhat more likely for there to be confusion, and lack
of consistency. Which would cause problems.

Karen seems to be saying that becuase _lots_ of people don't understand
the difference between http URL as a locater for a particular protoclol,
and http URI as an identifier independent of de-referencing, this
confusion could become a problem.

 From my point of view, http URIs _used with consistency and
apprpropriately_ and info URIs are more or less interchangeable. But
they both have pros and cons in terms of convenience (the convenience of
being able to de-reference a URI as a locater to mroe information), and
in terms of likelyhood of encouraging consistency.  One of the benefits
of info is that it comes with an inherent built-in registry to encourage
consistency.

Jonathan