Like so many library "standards," z30.50 is a syntax and a set of rough
guidelines. You have no idea what's actually happening on the other end,
because it's not specified, and you just have to either find someone you can
ask at the target machine or reverse engineer it.

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer