[Forwarded upon request --ELM]

(apologies for cross-postings)

Colleagues, Microsoft Research will be hosting a workshop at the Open
Repositories '09 meeting in Atlanta, GA on from 1-6pm on Thursday, May
21st (https://or09.library.gatech.edu/workshops.php). A preliminary
description below, with a more detailed agenda to be made available
shortly.

Registration is open now (email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
 >); we are able to accommodate up to 50 attendees. We hope you will
join us!

"Tools for Repositories - Microsoft Research & the Scholarly
Information Ecosystem"

Microsoft External Research strongly supports the process of research
and its role in the innovation ecosystem, including developing and
supporting efforts in open access, open tools, open technology, and
interoperability.  We partner with universities, national libraries,
publishers, and governmental organizations to help develop tools and
services to evolve the scholarly information lifecycle.  These
projects demonstrate our ongoing work towards producing next-
generation documents that increase productivity and empower authors to
increase the discoverability and appropriate re-use of their work.
This workshop will provide a deep dive into several freely available
and open source tools from Microsoft External Research, and will
demonstrate how these can help supplement and enhance current
repository offerings.

Come learn more about how the Microsoft Research tools can help extend
the reach and utility of your repository efforts.  Each session during
the half-day workshop will include a hands-on component so that
attendees can gain a deeper technical understanding of the available
tool-set, which includes the following resources:

   * Article Authoring Add-in for Word 2007
      o Structured document authoring (based on
        the NLM-DTD)
      o Ontology integration and markup
      o Repository search integration
      o ORE Resource Map authoring
      o Article repository submission workflow
        (via REST and SWORD interfaces)
   * Microsoft eJournal Service - a hosted
     peer-review workflow system
   * Zentity - Our v1.0 research-output
     repository platform
   * Research Information Centre - a
     collaboration space for researchers
   * Windows Live Machine Translation Service
   * Document Conversion Service

More information on each of these tools can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/scholarlycomm

To register, please email us at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]

We look forward to having you join us!

--
Lee Dirks
Director, Education & Scholarly Communication