Thanks, Ross. For SRU, this is an opportune time to reconcile these
differences.  Opportune, because we are approaching standardization of
SRU/CQL within OASIS, and there will be a number of areas that need to
change.

Some observations.

1. the 'ofi' namespace of 'info' has the advantage that the name, "ofi",
isn't necessarily tied to a community or application (I suppose one could
claim that  the acronym "ofi" means "openURL <something starting with 'f'>
for Identifiers"  but it doesn't say so anywhere that I can find.)  However,
the namespace itself (if not the name) is tied to OpenURL.  "Namespace of
Registry Identifiers used by the NISO OpenURL Framework Registry".  That
seems like a simple problem to fix.  (Changing  that title would not cause
any technical problems. )

2. In contrast,  with the srw namespace,  the actual name is "srw". So at
least in name, it is tied to an application.

3. On the other side, the srw namespace has the distinct advantage of
built-in extensibility.  For the URI: info:srw/schema/1/onix-v2.0,  the "1"
is an authority.   There are (currently) 15 such authorities, they are
listed in the (second) table at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/resources/infoURI.html

Authority "1"  is the SRU maintenance agency, and the objects registered
under that authority are, more-or-less, "public". But objects can be defined
under the other authorities with no registration process required.

4.  ofi does not offer this sort of extensibility.

So, if we were going to unify these two systems (and I can't speak for the
SRU community and commit to doing so yet) the extensibility offered by the
srw approach would be an absolute requirement.   If it could somehow be
built in to ofi,  then I would not be opposed to migrating the srw
identifiers.   Another approach would be to register  an entirely  new
'info:' URI namespace and migrating all of these identifiers to the new
namespace.

--Ray