Sorry Ray, that statement wasn't directed at LC in particular, but was a
general statement.  OCLC doesn’t do any better in this area, especially
with WorldCat where there are the same issues I pointed out with your
examples and additional issues to boot.  The point I was trying to make
was *all* organizations need to have clear policies on creating,
maintaining, persistence, etc.  Failure to do so creates a big mess
that takes time to fix, often creating headaches for those using an
organizations URIs.  Take for example when NISO redesigned their site
and broke all the URIs to their standards.  Tim Berners-Lee addresses
this in his Cool URIs Don't Break article.

Exactly, but purl.org is just using standard HTTP protocol mechanisms
which could be easily done by LC's site given Ray's examples.

What is at issue is the identification of a Real World Object URI for
MODS v3.3.  Whether I get back an XML schema, a RelaxNG schema, etc.
are just Web Documents or representations of that abstract Real World
Object.  What Ross did was make the PURL the Real World Object URI for
MODS v3.3 and used it to redirect to the geographically distributed
Web Documents, e.g., representations.  LC could have just as well
minted one under its own domain.

Andy.