I think the answer lies in DNS.  Even though you have a single DNS name
requests could be redirected to one of multiple servers, called a server
farm.  I believe this is how many large sites, like Google, operate.  So
even if a single server fails the load balancer sends requests to other
servers.  Even OCLC does this.

> Now, if you have a collection of disparate http URIs, you have _many_
> points of failure in that collection. Any entity goes down or ceases to
> exist, and the http URIs that resolved to that entity's web server will
> stop working.

I think this also gets back to DNS.  Even though you have a single DNS
name requests could be redirected to servers outside the original request
domain.  So you could have distributed servers under many different domain
names.

Andy.