Which is why the interface specifications are at least as important,
if not more important, as the specs for each of the modules that you
enumerated. If the interfaces are well-defined, then the components
can be designed and developed with a minimum of further interactions
among developers. In fact, there might eventually be more than one
implementation of a particular module, allowing a library to assemble
an ILS out of interchangeable components. (I'm assuming open
source--it seems unlikely that proprietary vendors will ever come
around.)

Sharon M. Foster, 91.7% Librarian
Speaker-to-Computers
http://www.vsa-software.com/mlsportfolio/

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Genny Engel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Also back to the original question, what is an ILS in the first place?
[...]