Jonathan, you need to take URI opacity in context.  The document is correct
in suggesting that user agents should not attempt to infer properties of
the referenced resource.  The Architecture of the Web is also clear on this
point and includes an example.  Just because a resource URI ends in .html
does not mean that HTML will be the representation being returned.  The
user agent is inferring a property by looking at the end of the URI to see
if it ends in .html, e.g., that the Web Document will be returning HTML.  If
you really want to know for sure you need to dereference it with a HEAD
request.

Now having said that, URI opacity applies to user agents dealing with *any*
URIs that they come across in the wild.  They should not try to infer any
semantics from the URI itself.  However, this doesn't mean that the minter
of a URI cannot create a policy decision for a group of URIs under their
control that contain semantics.  In your example, you made a policy
decision about the URIs you were minting for SUDOCs such that the actual
SUDOC identifier would appear someplace in the URI.  This is perfectly
fine and is the basis for REST URIs, but understand you created a specific
policy statement for those URIs, and if a user agent is aware of your policy
statements about the URIs you mint, then they can infer semantics from
the URIs you minted.

Does that break URI opacity from a user agents perspective?  No.  It just
means that those user agents who know about your policy can infer semantics
from your URIs and those that don't should not infer any semantics because
they don't know what the policies are, e.g., you could be returning PDF
representations when the URI ends in .html, if that was your policy, and
the only way for a user agent to know that is to dereference the URI with
either HEAD or GET when they don't know what the policies are.

Andy.