Ethan,

Mellon funded a project, "CollectionSpace" that addresses the needs of
museums specifically.  The Rutgers bibliographic utility, OpenMIC, which I
hope will finally go open source in May, also supports the needs of
museums in terms of rights and provenance information.  We designed the
utility to support a statewide consortium of libraries, museums,
historical societies and archives.  The museums were the most specific
about their needs for source, technical and rights metadata, and we tried
to address their needs in our METS implementation.

Grace Agnew
Rutgers University Libraries