My take: the projects are increasingly international, and now affect all aspects of library services, at least somewhere. I’m currently analysing my survey results (you may have received the invitation to participate last year), and I received responses from people in 33 countries, naming 43 individual projects (many of them library-specific, like Koha and Evergreen, and but others that were more general, like Plone and Drupal). FLOSS is almost mainstream for some things, particularly IRs and web content management, where the proprietary options are less mature (or too expensive for libraries).

I’ll be posting a better summary of the results when I have more to say (in a month or so, I hope). The other activity on my radar is developing an ‘advanced IT’ elective as part of our MLIS programme, and FLOSS licences, processes, and projects will be a large part of the curriculum. I’d be interested in hearing ideas from people here about what it should cover, and how much practical work (like scripting/writing CSS) it should include.

Brenda

--
Brenda Chawner
Senior Lecturer & LIM Programmes Director