Well, I'm pretty sure we haven't settled at all on the terminology, but
here's how I use the terms:

Federated Search - I use this to mean a search where the query is sent
against a number of disparate resources; it doesn't matter if they are
local or not.

I don't use broadcast or distributed search as terms at all.

With LibraryFind, we generally describe it as a cross-collection
discovery tool; I like this description because it differentiates
between a broad discovery (i.e. across collections) approach and a
focused discovery (i.e. deeply within a collection) approach, which is a
useful distinction both from a systems side and from a user side.

Ok, I'm sure that now just added more complexity to things.

-- jaf

Jeremy Frumkin
Assistant Dean / Chief Technology Strategist
University of Arizona Libraries

+1 520.307.4548