I think in order to accomplish this you'd have to send a completeness
or truncation attribute:

@attr 1=4 6=3 "foo bar" # search for 'foo bar' as the complete field
@attr 1=4 6=2 "foo bar" # search for 'foo bar' as the complete subfield
@attr 1=4 5=100 "foo bar" # do not truncate - although this is
probably not exactly right.

The full list is here:
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/bib1.html

Although I will bet that Aleph (which I assume you're querying)
doesn't support any of this.

I actually just wrote about this exact thing tonight:
http://dilettantes.code4lib.org/2009/04/commoditizing-the-stack/

-Ross.