http:// is an HTTP URI, defined by RFC 3986, loosely I will agree that
it is a web addresss.  However, it is not a location.  URIs according
to RFC 3986 are just tokens to identify resources.  These tokens, e.g.,
URIs are presented to protocol mechanisms as part of the dereferencing
process to locate and retrieve a representation of the resource.

People see http: and assume that it means the HTTP protocol so it must
be a locator.  Whoever initially registered the HTTP URI scheme could
have used "web" as the token instead and we would all be doing:
<web://example.org/>.  This is the confusion.  People don't understand
what RFC 3986 is saying.  It makes no claim that any URI registered
scheme has persistence or can be dereferenced.  An HTTP URI is just a
token to identify some resource, nothing more.

Andy.