How good are the two-camera apparatuses for scanning things other than
books?  The thing about the Google and Kirtas scanners is that they are not
particularly recommended for dealing with fragile books or otherwise special
collections materials.  The University of Virginia Library is still using
the single camera method for books as well as manuscripts, photographs,
slides, coins, etc.  It's a Hasselblad camera with a 45 megapixel Phase One
digital back, but significantly out of the $1000 range.  I haven't dealt
with all the camera hardware you could find, but I have never seen a
professional digitization hardware/software suite for as low as a thousand
bucks.  You could check out i2s's copibook series (
http://www.i2s-bookscanner.com/produits.asp?gamme=1003&sX_Menu_selectedID=leftV_1003_MOD),
but I have no idea how much they cost; they don't say.  Erik's idea of
building something custom is an option, but you might not necessarily get
consistent quality and production rate.

Have you considered partnering with Princeton University's digitization
labs?  The UVA Health Sciences Library occasionally borrows/trades/buys
resources from the university library's digitization services (the health
system and university are technically two different entities).  For all I
know, someone from Princeton University is on this list; I don't know what
their resources are and don't presume to speak for them.  That's just my
idea.

Ethan Gruber