Hi, list,

A while ago, I read some interesting discussion on how to use camera to produce archival-quality images from this list. Now, I have some imaging questions and I think this might be a good list to turn to. Thank you in advance! We are trying to add some herbarium images to our DSpace. The specimen pictures will be taken at the Biology department and the library is responsible for depositing the images and transferring/mapping/adding metadata. On the testing stage, they use Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd digital camera

(http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportSoftwareContent.do?dbid=874716&prodcat=871639&sscucatid=664260). It produces 8 megapixel images, and it doesn't have raw/tiff support. It seems that it cannot produce archival quality images. Before we persuade the Biology department to switch their camera, I want to make sure it is absolutely necessary. The pictures they took look fine with human eyes, see an example at: http://library.wichita.edu/techserv/test/herbarium/Astenophylla1-02710.jpg

In order to make master images from a camera, it should be capable of producing raw or tiff images with 12 or above megapixels?

A related archiving question, the biology field standard is DarwinCore, however, DSpace doesn't support it. The Biology Dept. already has some data in spreadsheet. In this case, when it is impossible to map all the elements to Dublin Core, is it a good practice for us to set up several local elements mapped from DarwinCore?

Thanks a million,

Sai

Sai Deng
Metadata Catalog Librarian