Fair enough.  Asking someone to give you a UTF-8 (or other Unicode
encoding) plain text file though -- you better try to heuristically
check the encoding before ingesting it, and plan on a lot of failures.
Typical users using typical consumer software (which tends to be
somewhat unpredictable with character encodings) can't be trusted to
give you a UTF-8 encoding just because you specify it, or  to have any
idea what this means or how to do it.

And checking the to see if the 'true' encoding of a plain text file is
what it's advertised as in an automated fashion is heuristic at best,
and not going to be perfect.

And you're still going to have trouble with complicated mathematical
formulas, molecular diagrams, other diagrams, etc.

Jonathan