Hi Sai,
"Archival Quality Images" has some meaning, but it might be helpful to look
up a standard and start your investigation for a new camera based on the
recommendations of that standard. You might find this page from the Library
of Congress helpful:

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/content/still.shtml

I think your indication that RAW/TIFF is a pretty safe bet, but being able
to point to an actual standard might make your case for a new camera a bit
more convincingly.  Other factors to take into account (other than
megapixels and format) are color reproduction, image 'noise' specifications,
DPI, lighting, (and probably many other things).

For DSpace you don't even need to map the elements of Dublin Core to
DarwinCore. Dspace has the ability to input different schema in its metadata
registry. You can then modify the "inputforms.xml" file in the Dspace config
directory to add the appropriate fields for the additional metadata fields.

Hope this helps!
-Andrew