If you are using some sort of XSL processor in a programming language (java,
php, ruby) you can "assign" a variable to the xsl file and use the variable
in the file much like you would in any other scripting environment.

You can also go one step ahead and use XQuery which gives you the ability to
access a FLOWR based enviornment where you can declare variables and
introduce some more advanced logic over XSL.

Andrew