Kinda the point of XSL is simply transforming XML as input into
something (html, xml, or other) as output.

The "right" way to do this, if you have any control over what's
generating the XML that is "input" to your XSL, is to have relevant (or
all) environmental variables included in the XML that's input the XSL in
the first place.

There maybe other ways that aren't as elegant, as everyone else has
said, it will depend on your particular environment. Because that's not
really what XSL is designed to do.