> As far as electronic formats go, I think PDF is as good as
> anything -- except maybe plain ASCII text, which is not
> nearly as useable (and doesn't allow diagrams,
> mathematical equations, non-English letters, etc).

There is no requirement that plain text be limited to the ASCII character set repertoire.  Although once they were almost synonymous, that is no longer the case [1].  Plain text can encompass anything and everything in the Unicode character set.  That includes non-Roman scripts, mathematical symbols, yada, yada, yada.

-- Michael

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_text

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington