On 6/22/09 6/22/09 € 4:17 PM, "Alexander Johannesen"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Even *if* HTML in MARC records probably is a bad idea.

Yes, it's such a bad idea it's hard to know where to begin. I'd like to
thank Kyle Banerjee for bringing up ISBD. This is like the HTML of the 60's
in the sense that now MARC is saddled with "markup" from the 60s that we
have ALL KINDS of trouble dealing with going forward. If we've learned
anything at all, it should be to not mix presentation with data. Let
succeeding generations (and us too!) decide how they wish to depict the data
-- but don't saddle them (and us) with the depictions of preceding
generations.
Roy