I'm pretty sure you can add extra fields to the dublin_core.xml file and
import it. I think I did something like this a few years ago, but I'm a bit
fuzzy on the details.
For the metadata creation, it might be worth your while to save the Excel
spreadsheet to a CSV file and then write a parser (in Python or Ruby) that
will read the values from that spreadsheet and produce a dublin_core.xml
file. If you gather the photo files in the same location,
you can then use the DSpace bulk importer to import everything into
your collection.

See here:
http://www.tdl.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/DSpaceBatchImportFormat.pdf

You may be able to add extra fields to the search index. See here:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Modify_search_fields