Something i know of, that isn't much advertized, but is really simple and
briliant idea is http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/venti/ , it's
a deduplicative permanent block-store, that splits it's partitions into
convieniently backupable (to optical or other media) subpartitions.
  If you have a lot of data, venti might be very handy for you. There are
several tools that use venti to store files, check http://swtch.com/plan9port,
which has the vac, vacfs and unvac tools, aswell as a port of the venti server
for unix systems. Fossil, the plan9 filesystem, which is basically a write-
buffer for it, and the new vidi ( http://vidi.sourceforge.net/ ), which i
haven't tested, so i can't say much of it.
Two thing the current venti tools do not handle are symlinks and setuid files,
as these do not exist in plan9, but usually, for data backup, you don't really
need those.

--
John Soros
BibLibre, expert en logiciels libres pour l'info-doc