At 03:25 PM 7/15/2009, John Wynstra wrote:
>We have tested routing off-campus users through our local proxy
>(WAM) when they link to Google Scholar from our library website
>.  Not recommending it, just saying it works since the proxy is in
>the correct IP range.  It has the benefit of leaving folks
>authenticated to the documents they will eventually click
>to--assuming you are using a rewrite proxy.  It doesn't actually set
>preferences, so if users happen to go directly to Google Scholar
>they may be confused by the missing openURL links.

I was going to mention this as well, but I was home this morning and
did some experimenting, and found that if I had already set a Library
Links preference in Scholar, that my proxied URL strategy was
foiled.  To test...I accessed Scholar directly, set Stanford in
Scholar Prefs, closed the browser, then accessed Scholar using a
proxied URL.  Instead of my library's OpenURL links, I still saw just
Stanford's.  I opened a different browser, accessed Scholar using the
proxied URL, and saw Lafayette's OpenURL links.

Seems like as long as the browser has stated a conscious preference
from within Scholar Preferences, IP address is ignored for purposes
of offering OpenURL links.  (Even from on-campus -- Scholar sets a
preference based on IP address, but if you delete your institution
from the prefs, it won't come back until you add it back or delete
the Scholar cookie.)

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian