Yeah, I've been thinking of doing this for worldcat.org too -- so the
user will get institutional link resolver and catalog links in
worldcat.org too, which they only get if they're from a recognized IP.
So even though it's free... helps access.

Actually, there is one feature in worldcat.org that isn't free.  If your
institution pays for FirstSearch Worldcat, then on worldcat.org under
holdings, your users will see ALL worldcat holdings, not just other
'paid' institutions -- IF the user is coming from a recognized IP.  If
the user is not coming from a recognized FirstSearch-paid IP, they can
only see FirstSearch-paid libraries holdings on worldcat.org.

So, yeah, I think there are times when you want/need to use proxy
despite the resource being free. web proxy for access is a pain in
general, I wish there was a better way actually in use of communicating
identity than IP addresses, but that's what we've got right now.

Jonathan