I do think that what language you choose to learn in will effect what
you learn though. As someone else mentioned, which was a good point,
being exposed to good code is the best thing to help you learn to write
it.  And on that basis, PHP is maybe not a good choice, and Perl can
be... dangerous.   Ruby or Python would be great on this front, but
maybe not so great for your particular environment.  Java... maybe.

But yeah, the most important thing is picking something that will work
for the context you are in. But within that... especially for a
beginner, I think it's easy to pick up bad habits from working with bad
code.

Jonathan