Hi Wayne,

As has already been said, the best you can do is find a problem that
you will see real value in solving, and that might be a problem that
seems quite small.
The next step is to find a technology that fits the problem. i.e. is
it web based, do you need to process textual information, records in
particular formats, etc
Then you have to work out how to make that solution deployable abd supportable.
Once you have done that, you will be well on the way to knowing an
awful lot about some very specific areas of how a technology works.

That's my definition of playing :)

Tim

informationtakesover.co.uk