Mark Pilgrim (diveintomark.org):

* He knows (real world, not necessarily library) standards about as
well as anyone and advocates strongly for what's simple and practical
(check out his work on Atom and HTML5), but he's also an advocate for
doing what's right even when it's not necessarily easy
(http://diveintoaccessibility.org/)

* He's updating Dive Into Python (http://diveintopython3.org/)

* He's funny, writes well, and seems to be articulate in person (based
on his short-lived video log)

* He lives in NC

* His mother was a librarian
(http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02/more_on_social_networks)