Robert Fox wrote:
>> I heard someplace recently that APIs are the newest form of vendor
>> lock-in.  What's your take?
>
> If you use a design pattern like MVC on top of the API (assuming you're building a web app on top of the API),

  then it doesn't have to be a lock-in scenario.

That's exactly what I have done to create a suite of library services
that are currently being integrated into a new web site.  It should be
noted, however, that using a MVC pattern doesn't mean that content
brought in via a API in a data access layer can only be consumed using a
web browser.  For my services, I've created multiple implementations of
the View layer.  For example, a staff directory, which I obtain using an
API I wrote which accesses an external staff directory app brings the
data into a model which can be viewed as html, xml, json, and even will
produce a dynamically generated PDF that staff can print off and place
on their cubicle wall.  Other services have data related information
(workshops, events, etc) have a view which produces iCal.