On Jul 10, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Jason Stirnaman wrote:

>> OpenPHI is a start-up company who is using open source software to
>> harvest and index open access content for the purposes of creating
>> useful indexes to medical information. For example, they have
>> collected content from MEDLINE, Biomed, and other peer-reviewed sites
>> to create a pretty comprehensive and competitive index called
>> HealthLibrarian.
>>
>> [1] http://www.openphi.com/
>> [2] http://www.healthlibrarian.net/
>
> Another interesting one is Mednar (who named this thing?) - a medical
> open access federated search engine launched by fed search veterans
> Deep
> Web.
>
> http://mednar.com/mednar/

I think things like HealthLibrarian, Mednar, the previous work done by
Index Data with open content, the cooperative alluded to by OCLC and
Ebsco, and Serials Solutions Summon all represent a trend and/or
opportunity for folks like ourselves. Identify (open access) content,
harvest it, index it, and provide access to the index. If we were
smart and cooperative, then we would create these indexes in some sort
of sharable format (like a specifically structured Lucene index)
allowing libraries to mix & match indexes to meet local needs. I will
collect and index philosophy and theology materials. MIT will index
computer science and mathematics. NCSU will collect engineering and
agriculture. Etc. Once we get this process under our belts we could
then go after the "closed" access content. By going through such a
process we will educate ourselves, improve our skills, become more
self-reliant, and save buckets of money in the long run. Not to
mention provide value-added access to the materials needed by our
patrons.

At the same time, I also understand many of us would rather pay for
the convenience of having this index packaged for us. If not, then
there never would have been a market of Poole's original periodical

Eric Lease Morgan
University of Notre Dame

(574) 631-8604