Not saying you're wrong Ross, but it depends.  People adopted MARC-XML
by looking at the .xsd without an actual specification.  Granted it's
not a complicated schema however, and there already existed the "MARC 21
Specifications for Record Structure, Character Sets, and Exchange Media"
so it wasn't a big leap to adopt MARC-XML, IMHO.

Generally I agree with your conclusion Ross. It's difficult for people
to just pick up an .xsd and understand what the semantics are for each
element and attribute in the schema and which element(s) should be used
for the document element.  This is mitigated by annotations in the .xsd
for the elements and attributes and also mitigated by using the Russian
doll schema approach, that MARC-XML uses, so it's clear what elements
can be used for the document element.  Also tools like XMLSpy that
provide a graphical representation of the .xsd can provide insights
into how the schema should be used.

But these are a lot of if this and that was done, and you have appropriate
tools.  A freely available specification detailing each element and
attribute along with their semantics is much better for understanding a
schema than the schema itself, but obviously the schema is the definitive
authority when it comes to generating conforming instance documents.

Andy.