On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Ross Singer<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Jon Gorman<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> As far as
>> languages, I'd probably lean towards ruby or python for starters or
>> maybe Java.  Then move into php after you have a grasp of good
>> programming practice.  You'll also figure out more what you like to
>> work on.
>
> Given the plaintive tone of the original post, I disagree with this
> advice.  Development is almost solely based on confidence and
> experience (with the latter affecting the former and vice-versa).
> "Good code" is secondary.
>
> I would almost certainly say start out with a procedural scripting
> language (or at least a procedural approach) that is more common and
> Googleable (PHP immediately comes to mind).
[snipped some more good points for brevity ;) ]

Good point.  One of my main thoughts was that ruby and python are both
"hot" languages right now and there might be a lot of tutorials and
tolerance out there now for the "hello world" type of approaches.  I
also considered for suggesting perl, but was afraid of being stoned
;).  PHP is popular and a pretty common entry language and it does
have a nice feedback loop as you pointed out.  One concern would be
that to get a handle on the web app related stuff you'll need a web
server + php.  That's been getting easier and easier to set up though.

Jon

ps As long as we're throwing out books, I like the first few chapters
of Fowler's Refactoring.  It can give a good feeling how Object
Orientated programming lends itself towards restructuring.