I know you mean well, but do you really think that Eric Morgan is not
familiar with TEI? These texts appear to be largely from Project Gutenberg,
which doesn't know TEI from a hole in the ground. All in all, I think Eric
is doing some pretty good work to make these plain vanilla texts usable in
interesting ways without having to put the work into it to bring them up to
the TEI standard. This by no means is anything against the good work of the
TEI consortium, but not everything can be marked up like that and, frankly,
that's OK.
Roy