On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Ryan Ordway<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> $213,360 over 3 years

> If you're ONLY looking at storage costs, SATA drives in enterprise RAID
> systems range from about $1.00/GB to about $1.25/GB for online storage.

Yeah -- but if you're looking only at storage costs, you'll have an
inaccurate estimate of your costs. You've got power, cooling, sysadmin
time, and replacements for failed disks. If you want an
apples-to-apples comparison, you'll want an offsite mirror, as well.

I'm not saying S3 is always cost-effective -- but in our experience,
the costs of the disks themselves is dwarfed by the costs of the
related infrastructure.

Cheers,
-Nate
Waisman Lab for Brain Imaging, UW-Madison