On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Eric Hellman<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I doubt that very much. It's very common for corporate sites to channel all
> their traffic through gateways. I would assume that google was smart enough
> to recognize that your usage pattern was not that of many users coming from
> a single IP address, but rather that of a harvesting robot. The two
> activities have very different log signatures.

Uh, actually, Google has in the past throttled some services based on
the ip address.  I'm pretty sure it was mentioned before on this list
and I can verify it myself.  Look for some of Jonathan Rochkind's
questions about a year ago.  The original api used with GBS seemed
very prone to this.  I know others hit issues and when our consortium
tried to use a proxy of the original api due to some technical issues
they ran into this.  (First couple of hundred hits would be golden,
the rest just would return http errors).  There's a newer one out
there now that apparently doesn't use this throttling, but I'm not
positive of the details.  An organization may still have to warn
google about it.

There's a reason why the original api strongly encouraged folks to do
things via a ajaxy call on the client.  I'm guessing part of the
reason for the "new api" was to address these issues.

Jon Gorman