Are you talking about proxying connections from library computers?

For computers in the library, how does a proxy help with privacy? How
is a person linked to a web request? Login records? Video footage? If
either of those, wouldn't purging the records be the simplest way to
provide privacy?

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I don't understand how proxying helps
privacy in this context.

Cheers,
-Nate